Saturday, March 3, 2012

My Taco Concoction

Basic burritos are one of those things that my husband and I tend to disagree on in the world of cooking.  I'm perfectly fine with, and prefer, a flour tortila, refried beans, cheese, sour cream, and salsa.  To me this type of burrito is pure tex-mex comfort food.  For my husband though he must have ground beef in it for it to be good enough to eat.  So, this evening I mixed up some ground beef with taco seasoning in it for his burrito.  I had tried one homemade recipe for taco seasoning but it fell a little flat, so I was gonna mix up some from a cookbook I'm borrowing from the library, but it called for coriander which is a spice I did not have.  I finally found one via pinterest that looked promising to give a try.  About the only changes I made was to decrease the salt and pepper a little and to leave out the cayenne pepper.  As much as I've tried I just cannot seem to like the taste of cayenne.  I don't know why this is, and its not like I totally hate the stuff, but I'm just not loving the taste of it in anything I've tried it in so far.  As I already own some I may keep trying it in things, but for now I'm leaving it out of this mixture.      

2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pepper

(Yes, I know nothing in the recipe is 1/8 tsp but I needed to use it as I could not find the 1/4 tsp )

I only tried a little of it, but my husband said it turned out pretty well.  I added 3 - 3 1/2 tbsp to a pound of ground beef along with a little water to make the spices easier to distribute to all the meat.  It was not super spicy, so I may add a little more red pepper flakes next time or up how much mix I put in, but it was still really good.  

1 comment:

  1. It looks really good. I should try mixing up some to have on hand. Josie loves to put Cayenne pepper in things.

    Have a wonderful day.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete