Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Simple Sourdough

So, I've been wanting to try a sourdough type bread for awhile as I LOVE sourdough, but have not been able to get a normal starter to work right.  I don't know if its just to cold in the apartment or maybe I forget about it too much.  The other day though my husband picked p at the library an Alton Brown cookbook and in it was a recipe for a sourdough without a starter.  Well, actually it did call for like a little bit of yeast so I don't know if its a true sourdough, or just a hybrid, but I decided to make it hoping it would taste a little sour like I love.

It was a little weird just leaving raw dough out overnight in a bowl, but this afternoon when I went to take it out it was all fluffy and pretty and super soft to the touch while punching it down.  The hardest part about all this was planning as the second rise took almost four hours.in my apartment.  


We ate it last night while the bread was still warmish with leftover corn chowder.  As it was not fully cooled it was a little hard to cut so we ended up just tearing some off.  I'll definitely be making it again sometime.  

1 comment:

  1. It looks very good. I have never been able to make good sourdough bread.

    I will have to check that book out and see.

    Have a wonderful day.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete