Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Of Smooth Hands And Baked Potatoes

I love going into someplace like Bath and Body Works or something similar when I'm at the mall to smell all the wonderful lotions and to try things out.  I can also remember two ways my mom would bake potatoes growing up.  One was to wrap them in aluminum foil with a little butter, and the other was to rub them with olive oil and then sprinkle course kosher salt all over them.  I've tried making baked potatoes a couple other ways, but these are still my old stand by way of baking them.  

These may seem like very different memories and they would be, if not for the fact that a couple years ago I wanted to see if I could make my own scrub for my hands to make them smoother.  I tried looking up a couple things online (this was before pinterest made finding things like this so so so so much easier) and while most called for essentual oils to make them smell good I did not have any at the time.  So, now I still use a simple mixture of a small nickel to quarter amount of olive oil poured out onto my hand, a little bit of sugar or salt, and sometimes if I'm not feeling lazy, a drop of vanilla.  I just rub this all over my hands and wash it off with water and a little soap.

Making baked potatoes is now a good excuse to scrub my hands as it uses up the oil already on my hands and the salt being used.  I usually pour out the salt into a separate small bowl as my hands get too dirty to be dipping into the bag of salt, but most times there is extra sticking to the sides of the bowl.

I just love feeling my hands afterwards!  

3 comments:

  1. I like feeling your hands afterwards too. :-*

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I don't think I have ever rubbed oil on the potatoes. Does that make the skins softer?

    Have a wonderful day and spoil your husband for his big 30 birthday.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it does change the texture slightly, but its been so long sense I made it any other way that I've forgotten a little the exact differences.

    ReplyDelete